Mr. Grasing has more than nineteen years experience trying cases in New York. He knows the importance of presenting a case to a jury in a straight forward, convincing manner; of paring down the facts and issues to their essential parts, to help a jury reach a correct decision. He uses this in the cases he litigates, which have ranged from large commercial disputes that allege breach of contract, to personal injury actions; from disputes involving construction projects, to those involving the sale of, and warranties for, commercial goods; from insurance coverage disputes, to collections actions; from subrogation claims, to arson and insurance fraud cases. Mr. Grasing also has authored numerous appellate briefs.
A related area of practice is First-Party Insurance Defense Litigation, in which Mr. Grasing has defended Insurance Companies that have been sued for breach of contract and bad faith, against claims for contract damages, including consequential damages, and extra contractual damages. He has defended the Insurance Companies he has represented, through such tools as substantive motion practice, defensive interpleader, contingent subrogation claims, and jury trials. He also has employed his experience in other areas of the law, including bankruptcy, construction, negligence, including gross negligence, and real estate, to aid in that defense.
As the principal of Grasing & Associates, Mr. Grasing emphasizes the focus of the firm, which he wants all clients to see and appreciate: The importance of working with the client, as a team, to obtain the desired result. Every client, whether big or small, a business or an individual, should be treated with dignity and respect. It is not enough to know the law and how to practice it. In order to be effective, according to Mr. Grasing, you have to pay attention to your client, his questions, concerns, and goals. It is not enough to hear what the client says; you actually have to listen.
Raymond Grasing received a Bachelors of Arts Degree from the State University of New York in 1988, with majors in History and English Literature. He received a Juris Doctorate degree from Brooklyn Law School in 1991. While at Brooklyn, he received the American Jurisprudence Award in Trial Advocacy from professor Charles J. Hynes.
Mr. Grasing was admitted to practice law in Connecticut in 1991 and in the State of New York in 1992. He also is admitted to practice law in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Mr. Grasing is a member of the Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, and the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, of the American Bar Association; a member of the New York State Bar Association; and a member of the International Association of Auto Theft Investigators.
Mr. Grasing’s areas of practice include:
- Civil Litigation, including trials and appeals, for businesses and individuals
- Commercial Law
- Contracts, including negotiation, drafting, and interpretation
- Estate Planning
- First-Party Property Law, including insurance fraud investigations and coverage opinions
- First-Party Insurance Defense litigation; which involves defending insurers that have been sued for breach of contract or bad faith.
- Third-Party Insurance Defense; i.e., defending third-party bodily injury and property claims arising from construction, automobile accidents, and premises liability.
for Raymond R. Grasing
First-Party Insurance Law
- Investigation of claim by Insured to recover more than $190,000 under Landlord Policy for damage to real and personal property arising out of incendiary fire.
- Investigation of claim by Insureds to recover more than $350,000.00 under Homeowners Policy for damage to real and personal property, plus additional living expenses, arising out of incendiary fire.
- Investigation of claim for damage to a Church Organ as a result of surrounding construction.
- Investigation of claim by Insured to recover under Homeowners Policy for damage to claimed residence as a result of frozen pipes.
- Investigation of claim by Insured to recover under Boatowners Policy for damage to boat as a result of its mysterious sinking.
- Investigation of claim by Insured for mysterious disappearance of watch, insured under scheduled personal property endorsement of policy.
First-Party Insurance Litigation
- Defense of Insurance Company against claims by Insured Business to recover, under business policy, for business interruption, involving the correct measurement of the applicable period of restoration and its effect on the amount recoverable.
- Defense of Insurance Company against claims by Insured Building owner to recover under Building Owner’s Policy for damage caused by adjacent construction, including excavation and shoring.
- Prosecuted claim against central station alarm company, arising out of commercial burglary, alleging it was grossly negligent for failing to respond, and being physically unable to respond, to warehouse within times guaranteed in service contract.
Third-Party Insurance Defense
- Defense of Insured Steel Fabricator against Breach of Contract Claims arising out of alleged defects in steel preparation and coatings application.
- Defense of landscaping company against claims, made by landowner, of property damage due to wrongful destruction of trees.
Areas of Practice
- Insurance Law
- Litigation & Appeals
- Connecticut, 1991
- New York, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. – 1991
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award in Trial Advocacy from Professor Charles J. Hynes
- State University of New York
- B.A. – 1988
- Major: History and English Literature
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee
- American Bar Association, Member, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- International Association of Auto Theft Investigators, Member
More than nineteen years experience trying cases in New York.
Experienced New York Attorneys
Our lead attorney is admitted to practice in the New York State Courts, the Southern District of New York and Eastern District of New York Federal Courts and the Connecticut State Courts. Our office hours are Mondays through Fridays, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., with evening meetings available by appointment. We invite you to contactour firm to schedule your free consultation.
The Law Firm of Grasing & Associates
The Law Firm of Grasing & Associates represents individuals, families, businesses and insurance companies throughout New York. The law firm is committed to providing quality legal services in the areas of insurance law, civil litigation and appeals, and estate planning. The experience our attorneys have in handling a wide array of cases is what we use to fight for our clients. It has also taught us the importance of working with our clients, as a team, to get them the outcome they deserve. This is what we want our clients to see and appreciate.